Public Housing Eligibility
Public Housing Eligibility
There are five (5) eligibility requirements for admission to Public Housing: 1) qualifies as a family, 2) an income within income limits, 3) meets citizenship/eligible immigrant criteria, 4) provides documentation of Social Security numbers, and 5) signs consent authorization documents. in addition to the eligibility criteria, families must also meet the Housing Authority screening criteria in order to be admitted to public housing.
It is also our policy not to rent to applicants, family members, and household members whose criminal history indicates a tendency towards physical violence, harassment, endangering the quiet enjoyment of others, or any other activity which could be considered to disturb the other residents of our communities. These activities may include, but are not necessarily limited to the following:
- Any misdemeanor or felony within the past five (5) years (includes but not limited to: DUI's, Shoplifting, Disorderly Conduct, "Simple" Assault & Battery, CDV's, Fraudulent Check, Breach of Peace, Public Drunk, Trespassing, Petty Larceny, etc.). Misdemeanor Traffic Violations will not be used as a basis to refuse application (e.g. D.U.S.'s, Speeding, Seatbelt tickets, etc.).
- Traffic violation involving a felony within the past five (5) (e.g. D.U.I.).
- Fraud, bribery or any other corruption in connection with any Federal housing assistance program within the past five (5) years.
- Crimes or actions involving physical violence within the past seven (7) years (e.g.: Assault & Battery of a High & Aggravated Nature -or- w/Intent to Kill, Lynching, etc.).
- Felony or misdemeanor crimes involving use of a weapon, serious injury or murder within the past ten (10) years (e.g. armed robbery).
- Harassment or disturbing the peace convictions within the last five (5) years.
- Activities involving manufacturing, selling, and/or distribution of illegal substances within the past seven (7) years.
- Misdemeanor crimes or illegal use of drugs involving personal use or possession for personal use within the past three (3) years.
- Destruction of property and/or any actions or activities which indicate a possibility for disturbance of the safety and quiet enjoyment of our apartment communities and residents.
- Manufacturing or producing methamphetamine (speed, crank, ice, chalk, or zip) on the premises of Federally regulated assisted housing, or is a registered sex offender, denied for life.
It is not our intention, under any circumstance, to violate the civil, legal or constitutional rights of any individual.
Scattered Houses Only
- Applicants must have a full time job (30 hours or more per week) - continuous employment for at least (1) year unless s/he is classified as disabled under Social Security.
- Applicants must be willing to properly care for & maintain a lawn. This includes mowing grass, trimming shrubs, raking leaves, etc.
- If an applicant loses employment after being placed on the Select Housing waiting list, s/he has ten (10) days from the date of loss to notify the Public Housing Admissions Department and choose a different site as s/he no longer qualifies for Select Housing.
- Note: Once an "Applicant" becomes a "Resident", if the Resident loses employment after being placed in Select Housing, s/he has ninety (90) days to find other full time employment (30 hours or more per week) before being transferred to a Standard Housing unit.
- Residents must have a full time job (30 hours or more per week) - continuous employment for at least (1) year unless s/he is classified as disabled under Social Security.
- Residents must be willing to properly care for & maintain a lawn. This includes mowing grass, trimming shrubs, raking leaves, etc. If a resident receives a violation letter and fails to correct the situation within a ten (10) day time period from the date of the violation letter, the H.A. will hire an independent contractor to correct the neglected lawn care. The resident will be charged accordingly based on the contractor's billing to the H.A. The resident must pay these charges in full on the 1st of the following month.