How to Apply
Pre-Applications for the Public Housing Program will ONLY be accepted for specific sites and bedroom sizes on an AS NEEDED BASIS.
To apply for conventional housing, an individual must complete a Pre-Application at the HAF Admissions & Occupancy office, 400 East Pine Street, Florence, SC 29501. Pre-Applications are accepted on an as needed basis and will be advertised on our website, flyers to local agencies, and in the Florence Morning News.
**No documents are required at the time of Pre-Application**
Since the demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the local housing agencies, long waiting periods are very common and may result in the waiting lists being closed at times when it has more families than can be assisted. Once your name has been selected on the Pre-Application preliminary waiting list, you will be scheduled for an appointment to complete a full application.
In order to complete a full application, you must have the following, NO exceptions:
- "Original" Birth Certificates and "Original" Social Security cards for yourself and all members who will be living with you as well as a Picture ID for Head of Household and anyone 17 years of age or older.
- Anyone in your household 17 years of age or older MUST BE WITH YOU to complete your application.
- Proof of Pregnancy from a Doctor's office (if currently pregnant).
- You must provide us with a CURRENT verification of your income and benefits (no older than 30 days from the appointment date.) Please see the following "examples" of sources of income or benefits you may be receiving that you must provide verification for in order to apply:
- Benefits from SSA (SS and SSI complete printout)
- Employment wages (at least 6 paycheck stubs from employer) -or-
- Letter from employer on company letterhead stating start date, rate of pay, hours worked per week, & pay frequency.
- Unemployment wages statement (from SC Employment Sec. Com.)
- Child Support printout (family court order for 1 year)
- Full-Time Student Verification (if taking 12 semester credit hours) & Financial Aid Award Letter
- Current Mortgage Statement or Property Tax Notice if applicable
- If Out of State- DSS complete case history printout (Food Stamps/AFDC/TANF/FI)
- 6 Month Current Bank Statement printed out for checking account(s)
- Current Bank Statement printout for saving(s)
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of your current and previous landlords for the past three (3) years (even if you have lived with family and/or friends)
Note: A criminal background check through SLED/NCIC will be processed on everyone 17 years and older.
Please note that if you do not have all of the information required, a full application cannot be processed and your Pre-Application will become inactive. If you need further assistance, please contact our office at (843) 669-4163 ext. 3340.
Admissions & Continued Occupancy Policy (ACOP)